Tuesday, March 1, 2016

I can't go on. I'll go on.

Something bad is happening, I'm afraid. Whether I'm in the midst of falling apart mentally or falling apart physically or both remains to be seen, but whatever the case may be, I don't like it.

In the past two entries, I wrote that I've been sick. I've been sick for the entire month of February - not falling down sick - but anywhere from low-level annoying under-the-weather sick to thinking I am going to pass out in the middle of a lecture sick. I've dealt with each day as it's come, and mostly kept up a normal schedule, simply because normalcy is what I crave, and because I've got too many irons in the fire right now to drop the ball. (Wow, how many idioms can I fit in one sentence, lol?) I've chalked a lot of what I'm feeling up to pure exhaustion, the type that seeps into every tissue in your body and lays you out flat when you lie down to go to bed a night. The type of exhaustion where you don't wake up and get out of bed in the morning, you peel yourself, one limb at a time, off the bed. But I've kept going, because that is what people do: they keep going.

Then yesterday, something happened. I woke up feeling terrible, the falling down sick kind of terrible. My daughter woke up with a sore throat but wanted to go to school anyway, and we let her, because she didn't have a fever and because we both had to work. I dropped my son off at daycare, and fumbled my way into work. I answered about a dozen e-mails before I got a call from the daycare saying that my son had a 102.7 degree fever and needed to be picked up. It was 9:00 in the morning. Somehow in the morning chaos, between my own illness and my daughter's illness, my son had been overlooked. It was suddenly too much for me to handle, and I literally just sat there for a good five minutes staring at my computer screen, trying to figure out what to do. My husband, who normally has a flexible schedule, just started a new job, and over the weekend, we had just had a lengthy discussion about him needing to put the pedal to the metal for the next year or so. But I had to teach, so what's a working mom to do?

Eventually, we worked it all out, as we always do, but the process exhausted me, way more than it should have. After coughing my way through a lecture about pathogenic bacteria, I came home to tag team with my husband, who had taken our son to the doctor and then brought him home. By the end of the day, my son, my daughter and I had all been to the doctor, and we all had prescriptions for antibiotics. My kids: strep throat. Me: unknown. As I had sat talking to my NP about what type of antibiotic to try next, she rattled off all the other things I should try to get better: sterilize my toothbrushes, wipe down my computer, take a probiotic, gargle salt water, and so on. Then finally, she asked me, 'Rest? Is there any way you can rest?'

I just looked at her. What a dumb question. Of course I can't rest. Who has time for resting? No one I know. But in that brief moment before I responded to her, it dawned on me that I really need some rest. Not as in, yeah, I should try to take it easy. As in, I really need some rest. As in, something bad is going to happen if I don't. I guess I've been ignoring all signs of my body rebelling against me and demanding rest because I already feel like I'm not doing enough. I've had to start going to bed around 9:30 every night, whereas not long ago, my goal was to be in bed by midnight, and I considered lights out at midnight an accomplishment. I simply can't do that anymore. I go to bed early and sleep late, relatively speaking, anyway. I've always been the type who would rather trade morning rituals for an extra hour of sleep, so I can pop right out of bed at 6:30 and be ready to be out the door in 20 minutes. Giving up those few hours of work every night, which used to be my most productive time, has not been trivial, and dammit, that should be enough. But it's not. For whatever reason, it's not enough. I need more rest, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to me.

So today, I did something I've never done before, and canceled my classes and stayed home with my sick kids (who are now acting totally fine) to try to get some rest. In the seven years at my job, I've been pretty dang sick, my kids have been pretty dang sick, including calls to 911 and hospital stays, and I've never canceled class. This latest bout pales in comparison to other things we've weathered, but somehow I felt some urgency this time. I can't keep going in this state I'm in; something's gotta give. Just trying to keep up my normal, everyday routine is physically sucking the life force out of me, and I'm overwhelmed with this feeling of I cannot do this anymore. I'm not sure if this is my body in pure rebellion mode, or my mind falling apart from stress. Either way, I don't like it. It's unsettling. The idea that it's possible that I'm physically not capable of achieving all the goals I've laid out in my mind is not acceptable.

Of course, given my recent medical history, it's hard not to think of worst-case scenarios. I'm not going to lie. I also, in my brief convalescence yesterday afternoon and today, read from start to finish When Breath Becomes Air, a memoir of a 36-year-old neurosurgeon who dies of lung cancer. While it was a truly amazing reflection on how we must face our own mortality, I'm not sure it was the best choice for me in this very moment in time, when I'm already feeling so fragile emotionally and physically. But the author of the book, Paul Kalinithi, frequently repeated the words of Samuel Beckett to himself, so I'll do the same. 'I can't go on. I'll go on.'

7 comments:

  1. Funny - when breath becomes air is next on my reading list. Also scared for somewhat similar reasons.

    So...I'm proud of you for canceling classes and taking care of yourself. And for sleeping more and doing what you can. And this is really ass-vice, because it's not realistic, but...

    ...is there any way you can do something even more drastic? Obviously, you must finish the semester, but...

    ...is there a way to do less in that time? I know you want to serve your students, but you must serve yourself first.

    ...is there a way to (gulp, I know) QUIT after this semester? Take a year off (esp when your husband is going to have to Do More at HIS job)? I know, not financially or career-il-ly feasible but...I'm not sure.

    I am so glad you are listening to your body and so sorry you've all been so sick, and apologize for my ass-vice. But I just, I dont' know, wanted to give you 'permission' to do that, if that's what you needed (this is what my therapist does for me sometimes, lol).

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really hit the nail on the head. Yes, I need to finish this semester, but afterward, something has to change. Something Big. I'm already playing with various scenarios. It's doable, but will take some doing.

      I highly recommend 'When Breath Becomes Air,' even if it is a difficult read. You will cry, for sure. It is thought-provoking for anyone, but thought-provoking on a different level for folks like us, who have had a taste of some of the things he writes about. One of the things that hit home was the question of finding values, and how hard it was for him to know exactly what it was that he wanted to do in his limited time.

      I guess the weird thing is that we all have limited time, it's just that when you have a terminal diagnosis, you know how and roughly when you will likely die, which certainly changes the way you go about your everyday life. As Kalinithi writes, much of medical training centers around life being so much easier when you've finished your residency, but what if that 'life after residency' is suddenly not a given? Is the way you're spending your days what you want to be doing?

      In my mind, I keep thinking if I can bust my ass for the next year or so, it will bring me closer to my long-term goals. And I think it's important to have long-term goals. But at the same time, what if there is no long-term? And that's not necessarily even because of cancer - it could be anything. If your future is questionable (and everyone's is, just some more blatantly than others), how do you want to spend your limited days on Earth? It's a tough balancing act between planning for a future but yet living in the present.

      If I were told that I had 18 months to live, I wouldn't want to spend those 18 months doing what I'm doing now. Of course, there's no reason to think I don't have much, much, much longer than that. But still, it really makes you think. And reading the book, especially during this time in my life, definitely made me feel that something has to change in the immediate future.

      Delete
    2. Just reading this response - so wonderfully written and thoughtful. Thanks for sharing.

      FWIW J also has been exhausted exhausted the past year. I truly believe your bodies are still, still!, healing, esp yours after so many surgeries.

      Delete
  2. I can feel your exhaustion seeping out of this post. :-/

    I'm SO glad you decided to stay home today and I hope you were able to get some good resting time in. Like Lexi, wondering what you can cut out of your life, even if temporarily? You have so much going on right now. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. I'm working on a plan to cut things out of my life, but unfortunately I've got to hang in there for a few more months.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you listened to your body! It is very important and I need to take what you said and do that for myself sometimes. I can't believe how exhausted I feel after all of my treatments too. I work all day and come home and work yet again, helping with homework, dinner running my daughter to dance and to friends houses etc. I need to just learn to say "NO" sometimes. I hope the best for you friend and hope that you get better soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's so hard to find that balance between normalcy and accepting you just don't have the stamina that you used to have. I hope you are taking care of yourself, too!

      Delete