Thursday, September 8, 2016

One year ago today...

Last night, I went to a PTA meeting for my daughter's school. I've never been to a PTA meeting before, and quite honestly, I went mainly because there was free pizza. (I don't think you ever outgrow the allure of a free meal.) When I walked in the door, one of my good friends, who was PTA president last year, gave me sort of a dirty look and said, 'I can't believe you're going to start coming to PTA meetings the year after I stop being president!' Since I did not want to admit that I, a grown woman with a job and a nice house, was just there for the pizza, I had to do some quick thinking.

I, um, was sort of busy last year. You know, I was working on my career change and stuff. And oh yeah... remember how I had cancer?! 

It's funny how cancer is not even the first thing that popped to into my mind as an excuse. Of course, I never went to a PTA meeting before I knew I had cancer, either. (What can I say? The pizza idea was brilliant.) But that's not the point. The point is that it is hard to believe that it was just last year that I was going through the most major ordeal of my life. In fact, exactly one year ago today, I was in the middle of the most major surgery I've ever had, and ever hope to have, in my lifetime.

In so many ways, cancer seems like such a distant memory, and in others, it is still with me, every day. It is a weird paradox to live with, not knowing if you had cancer or have cancer, whether you are a survivor or a patient. The physical scars from the surgeries remain somewhat problematic and serve as a constant reminder of cancer. I don't regret this, though. If I hadn't done reconstruction, I would have the constant reminder of cancer in a different way. Nonetheless, sometimes I feel a sense of inner loathing that I went through all of this mutilation for a sensationless lump of flesh with no function. And I am still receiving care for my scarring; in fact, I have an appointment with Dr. T tomorrow.

And then there is the tamoxifen, which I continue to blame for my hot flashes, cold flashes, general fatigue, and pretty much anything else I can blame on it. I've been extremely depressed lately, and because I cannot think of a reason I should be depressed, I blame the tamoxifen. But that's not my biggest gripe. In fact, I've spent so much of my life in various states of mental disarray, I'm used to it, and it could very well not be the tamoxifen and just the fact that I am me. My biggest gripe about the tamoxifen is that it gives me horrible leg cramps. HORRIBLE. I mentioned this to my oncologist the last time I saw him, and he pretty much blew me off, to the extent that I didn't even write about it. Later, however, I did some Googling to try to see why tamoxifen would cause cramps, and while I could find no explanation that could satisfy my nerdy mind, I did discover that this is apparently very common. In fact, many women who stop taking tamoxifen before they are supposed to cite leg cramps as the #1 reason they stop!

I've always had a bit of a problem with leg cramping, usually in the morning when I wake up and do my early morning stretch. But the tamoxifen-induced leg cramps are like the normal cramps on steroids. In the past, I used to get cramps on either the front of my leg OR the back of my leg, but these new ones involve the entire circumference of my leg, often both legs at the same time, often multiple times per night. Let me just tell you, it is extremely painful and also disruptive to my sleep. In fact, it's ridiculous. The other day I was sitting in my office and I got a cramp that crept all the way up my leg and along my hip, and it felt so weird that after a while I started to wonder if I was, like, having a stroke or something. And yesterday while teaching, I got a horrible cramp in my toes that then worked its way up my calf and shin and I seriously thought I might have to stop class. I could go on and on about this but I realize it is a super boring topic that probably reminds you of your Great Aunt Ethel going on and on about her hemorrhoids, so I'll stop. Just feel sorry for me, yada yada. 

And oh, remember my hip saga? Last night, I had a terrible nightmare that I had to wake myself up from. After realizing I had not actually killed anyone, and that my son was not actually dead, I tried to stay awake long enough to not lapse back into the same terrible dream. After a bit, I tried to go back to sleep, but realized that my hip was throbbing. And I mean throbbing. After about 15 minutes I realized my hip did not want me to go back to sleep, so I fumbled around and tried to find some Ibuprofen, which in itself was an ordeal, because I was sleepy and it was dark and I have 20/900 vision without my contacts and I keep the Ibuprofen right next to my tamoxifen (and it's actually in a tamoxifen bottle because I am an idiot) and even in my sleep-induced stupor, I realized the last thing I wanted to do was accidentally take a handful of tamoxifens. LOL. I would have taken something stronger than Ibuprofen because the pain was really that bad, but it was 3 AM, and I did not want to have an opioid hangover during class this morning. I think I got back to sleep around 4 AM, then woke up to - you guessed it - horrible leg cramps around 5 AM.

But OMG ISN'T LIFE AWESOME?! Ha. Really, life is awesome, it really is. It's just cancer and hip dysplasia that suck. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey wow. A year ago. How time flies. So glad you are free from fears of death for now (heh) but wow what HORRIBLE PAIN the cramping sounds like. Like I get a calf cramp once in a blue moon and it SUCKS. I cannot imagine whole leg ones. PLUS the hip pain. And scarring healing. Aaaaaaah. It is scary to think the body is just not meant to live much past 30 something. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are experiencing all of this. I have also run into the doctors who don't take pain and side effects seriously. If it is not in the textbook, they seem to think we are just making it up. Cancer and its lingering effects truly does suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I have horrible leg/foot cramps all the time too! I had no idea it might be from the Tamoxifen. I don't get them every night but I get them at least once or twice a week and they are terribly painful. What we do to try and stay alive and well. I am sorry you are having hip pain again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't put the cramps and the tamoxifen together until I started Googling 'leg cramps and tamoxifen.' I just thought it was interesting that an oncologist with years of experience would have no idea about this sort of thing...

      Delete