Tuesday, November 3, 2015

DIEP Reconstruction Aftermath: 8 Weeks

Probably the most notable thing about 8 weeks post-reconstruction is that I basically have no restrictions on my activity. I can work toward regaining full strength and function as tolerated. Before, I wasn't allowed to do any exercises involving my core (e.g., sit-ups, crunches, etc.). Because I have a lot (A LOT) of work to do - I seriously cannot even sit up from a lying down position - I'm going to start going to physical therapy twice a week for the next few weeks.

Physical therapy has actually been super helpful. It is so very different from the pretty terrible PT experience I had when rehabbing my hip. I've only done two sessions - one per week - but I've been very diligent about doing my exercises at home, and in just two weeks I was able to regain significant range of motion in my arm. I still have a lot of pain, especially in my shoulder and pectoralis muscle, but my overall function is just so much better than it was before, so I'm pretty thrilled. I am not looking forward to trying to rehab my formerly sliced open abdomen, as I have a feeling that's going to involve a lot more pain, but... eh. I can do it. Riiiiiiiiight.

My therapist has been very good about monitoring me for any signs of lymphedema, which is unfortunately a lifelong risk for me now, because I am missing lymph nodes. Fortunately I've escaped it so far, although I realize that it can rear its ugly head at any time down the road, and I need to be super vigilant about not getting any IVs in my left arm. (Honestly, I'm hoping I'm sort of done with the IV thing.) A sort of funny thing happened, though re: fluid building up. I had asked Dr. T about when I could stop wearing the abdominal binder, and he replied that I needed to wear it for 4-6 weeks. Ummmm, okay... is it 4 weeks or is it 6 weeks? There's a big difference, in my opinion. It's like clothes that are made for 8-10 year olds. WTF? But because I hated wearing the binder, and it was especially annoying after I started wearing real clothes again and trying to make myself presentable to go out in public, I pretty much stopped at 4 weeks, except around the house and while sleeping. It was a little weird to stop wearing it, because even though it was uncomfortable, I felt pretty naked without it after wearing it for so long. And it did offer some support/protection, and of course, the most important function was to prevent fluid from building up in my abdomen.

About a week after I stopped wearing the binder, I ordered a pair of pants online. I have a really hard time finding pants that fit, so I normally wouldn't do this, but it was a place I've bought many pants from, and I know what size to order, and the deal was too good to pass up. When the pants came, I tried putting them on, and they were sooooo tight, I was like OMG I HAVE TRUNCAL LYMPHEDEMA!! and freaked out. Later, I came to my senses and realized, nope, nope, I'm just getting fat. WHICH HELLO, should not come as any sort of surprise, seeing as how between my hips and cancer I've spent, like, two years on the couch (and let's be honest, it's not like I was a superstar fitness guru before that). 

Nevertheless, I asked my physical therapist about it, and she agreed to monitor my abdomen by taking weekly measurements, just to be certain it's bona fide weight gain and not fluid build up. (I'm not sure which one is worse, lol.) She also said that wearing the binder couldn't hurt, and suggested that if the binder was too uncomfortable, that I go out and buy some control-top undergarments made to compress the abdomen. That was actually a pretty brilliant suggestion, I thought, so I hit JC Penney immediately after PT, and was shocked by the number of undergarments designed to tame muffin tops. Who knew abdominal binders could be so sexy? I might just keep wearing my new undies indefinitely. Ha.

In other news, I've been taking tamoxifen for 22 days, and I am still fine! I've had a bit of weirdness with chills and some hot flashes, but my morning sickness is gone, and I'm still sleeping pretty well. I have physical therapy tomorrow and Friday of this week, and on Friday I also have a post-op appointment with Dr. T. I know he is going to propose doing a revision surgery, and I'm not at all sure how I feel about that. I guess I will at least hear him out and then reflect on it for a bit. Things are just so good right now, why mess with them? On the other hand... well, let's just say the other hand is overloaded.

2 comments:

  1. Well it's possible that you have NON lymphedema swelling and just still regular post surgery swelling and not fat gain no? Anyway...the adventures of pants and PT. I'm so glad you are having a good PT experience!

    Really great you are adjusting so well to the tamoxifen AND feeling so good post surgery!!! I am so happy for you! I've been reading along and not commenting and just YEAH. So so good.

    Revision surgery...I'd probably be nervous too, but much less so if it were Dr. T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it could just be normal swelling, but I feel like it's sort of late for that? I think I may be super sensitive to everything because so many people claim they gained, like, 20 pounds after starting tamoxifen, so there is that, too. I'm just trying to keep a level head about all of it...

      Delete