Friday, August 11, 2017

First Post-Op Visit and Return to Normalcy

I just took half of an oxycodone for pain, yet today has been The Best Day Ever in post-PAO territory. I feel... happy? Energized? Or maybe just... normal? That's it. I FEEL NORMAL! Aside from the whole I can't walk thing, I FEEL NORMAL.

I had my first post-op appointment yesterday, and it went well, which put me in good spirits. I was bracing for bad news. About 10 days ago, I had a near-catastrophic mishap due to me being an idiot. The fact that I didn't write about it when it happened just goes to show you how lazy I've been even about writing. I've been making a concerted effort to stay well hydrated, so I filled up my water jug to take to bed, and because I'm tired of everyone having to do everything for me and because everyone is tired of having to do everything for me, I decided to carry it myself. Unfortunately, some water dripped out, my crutch hit the water and slid, and subsequently, my right leg (operated side) slid. Fortunately, it rammed into the couch, otherwise I would have gone into the splits. And I mean really, I would have gone into the splits. As it is, I went down pretty far, and it hurt. A lot. I screamed my head off, causing my husband, who was upstairs putting the kids to bed, to come running down the stairs. I held onto the couch, hyperventilating and freaking out, then once I calmed down, my husband helped me to bed. I immediately took two oxycodones and a Valium, and went to sleep.

When I woke up, I was in pain, but I couldn't tell if it was bad or not. The pain was similar to the pain I'd already had, only more intense. I debated whether I should even contact my surgeon about it, and I eventually texted Christian, explaining what happened. At first he told me not to worry, but then later texted back and asked if I thought it was bad enough that I needed an X-ray. (I suspect he may have consulted with Dr. Terminator.) After a few days, I decided there was no point in getting an X-ray when I was going to get one soon anyway. Nonetheless, that left me pretty nervous for my appointment. However, much to everyone's relief, everything was still in place! Dr. Terminator's first words to me were, 'Everything is fine - you didn't mess up my work!' LOL. I think it's funny surgeons think of patients as their own personal works of art.

Other highlights:

#1: They* removed the stitches from my arthroscopy a month ago. A MONTH AGO! I was pretty worried about this, with good reason. When I had my first arthroscopy, I remember my surgeon had a hard time getting my stitches out two weeks post-op, because my skin had already grown around them. I understand that technically this was a 'two week' post-op appointment, BUT it was actually a two week post PAO post-op, AND it was not two weeks post-op, but two weeks from the (estimated) time that I would leave the hospital (since I would see the surgeon and/or his PA every day in the hospital). So in reality, it was over four weeks post arthroscopy and three weeks post PAO.

So when I say they* removed my stitches, it's because Christian started, but couldn't get them out, so went and got Dr. Terminator. Then, they had a conversation that went something like this.

Dr. Terminator to Christian: I really need a curved scalpel. Can you go get one for me?
Christian leaves and comes back a few minutes later.
Christian: They don't have those here.
Dr. Terminator: Okay, well then go get me something sharp - whatever.
OMG are you f-ing kidding me?! 
So I looked at Dr. Terminator and joked: You mean like a steak knife?
Then Dr. Terminator looked at me and gave me a cute little smile, like, Haha, you're kind of funny. I might like you after all. And suddenly I liked him a lot more than I have in the past. It was one of those hard to describe bonding moments.

And after much pain, the stitches came out.

#2: I asked when I could drive, and Dr. Terminator said, 'Now.'

!!!!!

Like... I seriously can't imagine driving right now, but the fact that I *could* if I wanted or had to is comforting and helps me feel like my life is getting back to normal.

Also, since the first surgery, I've been limited to flexing my hip no more than 90 degrees, and that restriction is now gone. Not that I actually CAN flex past 90 degrees, but at least I can try! And I don't have to stress if I need to bend over and scratch my foot!

#3: I inquired about this whole non weight bearing thing because that is hands down the hardest part of this. Technically, in a week, it will be six weeks since the arthroscopy and microfracture procedure, which is the reason for six weeks of non weight bearing. However, my next appointment isn't until about eight weeks post-arthroscopy. And when you're working on my timeline, those two weeks make a huge difference - because I have to go back to work, and I want to be at least partially weight bearing when I do. I don't want to start bearing weight until I'm technically cleared to do so, but at the same time, I don't want to wait an extra two weeks just because that's when my appointment is. So we agreed to move my next appointment up to the end of August, rather than mid-September. It will require a longer drive - because Dr. Terminator and his team are only at University Hospital twice a month - but I felt happy that they were on board with accelerating my rehab period rather than not.

#4: I really, really, REALLY like Christian. The jury is still out on Dr. Terminator, lol, but I decided that I really like Christian. Honestly, I don't see a lot of Dr. Terminator, which doesn't fit with what other people have said about him, but I'm okay with it. Christian spends a lot of time with me, answers all my texts promptly, and we generally just click. Maybe that's why I don't see a lot of Dr. Terminator.

When I was waiting for my appointment, I sat down in the nearest chair, which happened to be right under the TV, which was super loud. Eventually it started to bug me, enough to motivate me to get up and try to move across the waiting area. Right as I managed to stand up, Christian walked by with Dr. No Name, who I remembered from my first appointment.

'Hi!' he said very cheerfully. Followed by, 'Wow! You look really good!' It was very genuine, and I was impressed he knew who I was out of context, in the waiting room. And he seemed genuinely happy that I apparently looked 'really good.' Then he asked how I felt, and of course after all that, I couldn't say anything other than 'I feel good!' (which, angst about my upcoming X-rays aside, was true). Then he repeated, 'Well you look like it,' before saying he would see me in a few minutes and disappearing back into the exam area. That just about made my day.

Then, back in the exam room, he mentioned that classes must be starting soon and asked when. August 21st, I told him.

'Ah!' he said, 'The day of the eclipse.'

Soooooo.... my husband has been talking about the total eclipse for, like, years and years. Seeing a total eclipse is very high on his (very long) bucket list. And on August 21st, we will be within a few hours of the band of totality of a total solar eclipse. For the past few years, my husband has been planning a trip to see the eclipse, and has tried to convince me that I can miss the first day of classes for this once in a lifetime event, while I have patiently explained that no, no I cannot.

So the mere fact that Christian recognized August 21st as Eclipse Day led to instant love. And a lot of conversation. Of course my husband tried to convince Christian that he should take the day off, to which he replied, 'We have two PAOs on that day.' However, that didn't stop him from bringing it up with Dr. Terminator - only semi-jokingly.

Ironically, because of this surgery, I am off work until September 11th, so I'll be able to see the eclipse after all. At the end of my appointment, Christian told me, 'I'll see you after the eclipse.' Dr. Terminator's last words to me were, 'DO NOT FALL!'

* * * * *

All in all, I felt really good after I left - about my hip, about my care team, about everything. Even the flat tire we discovered once back in the car couldn't break my good mood.

And I've been in a good mood ever since. Yesterday evening, I hosted book club, which is always good for my soul. A bunch of my friends came over with food and wine, and we talked and laughed until late into the night. I'll admit that trying to get from the front porch to bed was a bit of a challenge, especially with Dr. Terminator's DO NOT FALL! words ringing in my head. But it was so worth it. :)

Today, I had two back-to-back meetings, both work related. People graciously agreed to come by my house, but still. After a late night last night, I got up this morning, showered, worked, ordered lunch for our lunch meeting, met with colleagues, then had another meeting, and OMG I AM EXHAUSTED! And sort of in pain - hence the oxycodone at the beginning of this post, even though I've mostly been getting by with ibuprofen. BUT. It was a normal day, and I did normal people stuff in normal people clothes, and despite being on crutches, I led a meeting and provided lunch and was a mentor/leader and it just felt so. damn. good.

I feel like I've turned a major corner, and I can't tell you what a great feeling that is. Considering it's been an entire month since my first surgery, I guess it's about time. Nonetheless, it's an amazing feeling, and even if this is just a typical experience in terms of recovery timeline, I'm still reveling in my happiness. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I feel NORMAL. And that's AMAZING.

Even in your normal isn't perfect, embrace it, or at least don't take it for granted. That's my (maybe crappy) advice, anyway. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay!. This sounds so upbeat. So great to read. Also I can vouch for the fact that you look good. (Thanks Facetime). oxox Keep up the good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I'm just now reading this but YAY!!! Reading this post gave me the warm fuzzies. I'm so happy for you and so glad this is going well. Christian sounds fantastic. YOU sound fantastic. Here's to continued healing and do not fall!

    ReplyDelete