Friday, September 5, 2014

Book Club (8 Weeks + 3 Days)

Tonight was my monthly book club meeting, which is an event that I really look forward to. As I was walking over to my friend's house, I could not help but think of the last book club meeting, four weeks ago. I had had PT in the afternoon and was scheduled for an ultrasound the next morning, which I recounted to everyone at book club with casual amusement. At the time, I really thought everything was okay. (See: http://39andhip.blogspot.com/2014/08/post-surgery-4-weeks-3-days-6-days-uirtw.html)

It was sort of depressing to realize that things haven't changed much since four weeks ago. Four weeks ago, I struggled with pain as I walked five blocks to book club. Tonight I struggled with pain as I walked one block to book club. Just as I had PT four weeks ago, I had PT today. Four weeks ago, I wasn't able to do much at PT due to pain, which led the PT assistant to try massage to help my pain level, which eventually led to discovery of my blood clot. Today during PT, I wasn't able to do much due to pain, and my PT did massage. Déjà vu all over again.

I guess the sort of good news about this is that I do have an appointment with my orthopedist tomorrow. I know I've said that I don't feel like he can help me at this point, but I am trying to keep an open mind, seeing as how I have no other options. I was originally supposed to see him next Friday, but apparently my semi-hysterical e-mail last night prompted someone on staff to call me today and tell me that he had time to see me tomorrow. Ironically, I was actually at physical therapy, 20 feet away, when they called me, and then when I called back after I got home two hours later, they gave me the usual runaround. Fortunately, I'm pretty experienced with the runaround and realize that being pissy with front office people never gets you anywhere. Eventually, I managed to get an appointment tomorrow, which can't hurt. If nothing else, it will give me an outlet for complaining that is not my husband.

At this point, my expectations are pretty nonexistent, so anything at all helpful would be a pleasant surprise. Anything not helpful will not make me happy, but won't be a surprise. Maybe that's a bad attitude, but it's where I am mentally right now. When I was logging in via the patient portal, I noticed that my appointment was classified as a 20 minute re-check. 20 minutes? You've got to be kidding me. The only time I've ever gotten 20 minutes from my orthopedist was during surgery, and even then it was only an hour. At any rate, I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment