Friday, November 7, 2014

Book Club on Thursday, Orthopedist on Friday (17 Weeks + 4 Days)

Exactly four months post-surgery

As has become the norm for the past three months, I had book club on Thursday followed by an appointment with my orthopedist on Friday. I wasn't looking forward to the appointment after my display of jerkiness a few weeks ago, plus I knew that nothing would come of the appointment, so I should have just canceled it. But... I didn't. I could have just said I was sorry for the nastygram, but I just couldn't bring myself to apologize because I'm not exactly sorry. I sent multiple polite e-mails requesting follow up communication, and that didn't work, so I felt like I had no choice, other than to just sit around for months with no follow up, which IMHO is Not Okay. I guess I have pretty high expectations when it comes to communication. I spend a few hours a day responding to e-mails, mostly from students, which is important when face-to-face time is limited. Sometimes they don't like my response to them, but... I do always respond, usually within a few hours, and with very few exceptions, almost always within 24 hours.

Anyway, no one said anything about my nastygram, and everyone was very pleasant and cordial. The orthopedist's MA seemed to be trying extra hard to be friendly. When we were walking back to the room, she started off by saying, 'I just have to warn you...' and I immediately thought Uh oh, then anticipated her saying something like, The doctor hates you. However, she was just warning me that she was super busy and hadn't cleaned the room yet, so she was going to need to clean it while I was sitting in there, which she thought would be better than keeping me out in the waiting room. Fortunately, 'cleaning' in an orthopedist's office consists of throwing away the paper that covers the examination table and pulling out more. LOL. She asked me how I was feeling, and I told her I was feeling much better. Then she sort of surprised me and asked if I thought I was actually feeling better or if I was just getting used to the pain, ha ha. I admitted there might be some of that, but that I did think I was genuinely feeling better. I said I had a period of a few weeks when I felt awesome, and I really thought this was finally OVER, but that over the past couple of weeks I've felt the pain creeping back. Nevertheless, I was pretty sure that I still felt better than I did at the last visit.

The MA apparently relayed this information to the orthopedist because when he came in he cheerfully declared, 'Rumor has it you're getting better!' I repeated the information to him, including the pain creeping back, to which he replied, 'No. No creeping is allowed.' LOL. Seriously, I love this guy's personality. It's hard to explain, but on some fundamental level, we really click, which is probably why I was stupid enough to let him operate on me. Even when I want to be really angry with him for being a douchebag of a doctor, I just can't stay mad. Plus, he never keeps me waiting, either, which is always a plus, and a very rare quality among orthopedists (in my experience). He then went through his usual spiel of most people feeling back to normal after three months, but for some people it's six months and others nine months, then just as I was telling him not to even mention the nine-month category to me, he added that hopefully I was in the six month category.

Then I got up onto the examination table so he could do his useless set of 'tests' on me. The MA had told me to put on a pair of those hideous exam shorts in case the doctor wanted to do some manipulations or whatever. I smiled and nodded my head and didn't bother changing, because I didn't feel like it and knew the doctor wasn't going to look that closely. (He has never even looked to see how the incisions healed except when he took the stitches out two weeks post-surgery.) However, he did comment on my shoes, asking me if they were Danskos. I said they were. Then he said he wore Danskos when he operated, and I replied that I didn't know they made Danskos for men. He said somewhat sheepishly that he definitely only wore them during surgery, otherwise he got weird looks. LOL. I told him I had started wearing them when I started teaching back-to-back anatomy labs for six hours straight and needed comfortable, closed-toe shoes. They are the shoes teachers and nurses, and apparently even male orthopedic surgeons, swear by.

Other than the shoe conversation - shoes must be his thing, as I remember him having a conversation about my mom's shoes prior to surgery - highlights include the following:
  • My blood clot is much improved. My doctor apologized for taking a while to get back to me about it (which I appreciated), and then gave me a copy of the report from the radiologist. (He is getting to know me!) He said there was some residual clotting that might never go away (??) but that wasn't enough to keep me on the Xarelto (??) I sort of smiled and nodded my head and didn't mention I had gotten a second and third and fourth opinion about this. 
FINDINGS: The common femoral vein and proximal and mid portions of the superficial femoral vein are normally compressible. In the distal SFV and extending through the popliteal vein, there is chronic thrombus, which causes the vein to be incompletely compressible. This is significantly improved compared to the previous exam. The calf veins are compressible, with no DVT present. 
IMPRESSION: There is residual chronic thrombus in the distal superficial femoral vein and popliteal vein. There has been improvement compared to the previous venous ultrasound study from 8/8/2014.
  • I have trochanteric bursitis in both hips, which I knew. Fortunately, it's not hurting terribly, and according to my doctor, it will magically and spontaneously resolve itself at some undisclosed date in the future. He did mention that we could do cortisone injections to help speed up the healing and when I vigorously shook my head no, he agreed that, 'Yeah, you've already had so many shots.' We also both agreed that going back to PT would not be helpful, as it's actually PT that caused the bursitis in my left hip in the first place, and it's actually feeling much better since I stopped PT. So, I'll just wait it out.
  • When I go from sitting to standing, it hurts, just like it did before surgery (which is what worries me). Supposedly this will also magically and spontaneously resolve itself at some undisclosed date in the future.
  • It still hurts when I flex my hip, although mostly only when I go up stairs, whereas before it hurt when I went down stairs as well. At least the sharp pains I used to have are gone, so that is a happy thing. My doctor said I have some tendonitis, but it seems to be in my sartorius, which is more lateral than the major hip flexors. Not that it really matters, because this too will magically and spontaneously resolve itself at some undisclosed date in the future.
  • I will follow up in two months, at which point hopefully my pain will have magically and spontaneously resolved itself.
  • There is so much to look forward to in the future. :)
  • In writing this, I was trying to think of reasons that my pain seems to be returning, and it dawned on me that I stopped taking the meloxicam a while back because I was having GI issues. Since my GI issues seem to have at least gone dormant, I think I'm going to try taking the meloxicam again.
In other news...

On my way out, I stopped by the PT room to say hello to my therapist. He said he had recently done a music gig (he is a professional musician by night) at the university. Interestingly, I attended an evening event at the university tonight and chatted with one of the music professors about my therapist. The professor mentioned that AJ was one of just three 'professional level' bass players in town and was sort of a 'go to' guy for jazz musicians. He seemed surprised that a professional musician could have such a respectable day job, much in the same way that my students seem surprised when they realize that a lot of university faculty have talents outside their narrow fields of study. It's all rather amusing when you think about it.

Also at the function tonight, I spent some time with a colleague/friend who had the same surgery I did, but two months after I did. She is now about two months post-surgery and told me that she basically doesn't have any pain at all, except on rare occasions when 'I do something stupid.' She really felt there must be something wrong for me to be having so much pain four months later. Hmmmmm.

And finally, I turn 40 on Sunday. I have so many mixed feelings about that. I feel like my 30s brought so many great things to my life, but I've heard that the 40s can be even better. So here is to what is likely to be my last post here as a 39-year-old. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I believe the other woman who had the same surgery did not actually NEED said surgery........

    Holy smokes it's almost your birthday. Happy birthday!!! Here's to your 40s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: "I believe the other woman who had the same surgery did not actually NEED said surgery........" Well, yes!! One would hope that cosmic karma would lead to worse pain after surgery than before in her case, but unfortunately that only seems to have struck me. Maybe I did something mildly offensive in a past life. :)

    ReplyDelete