Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Weather Outside is Frightful (18 Weeks + 1 Day)

Just some facts, mostly for my own record:
  • On Saturday, I rode my bike for the first time in over four months. It has been so long that I forgot which side the chain was on and rolled up my pant leg on the wrong side. I only rode about two miles total and walked about one mile total. My hip felt fine - or as fine as it ever feels.
  • On Sunday, my hip started killing me - my muscles were super tight despite incessant stretching, and I also felt pain in the hip joint itself, especially when I made a concerted effort to stand with my weight distributed equally between both legs. I'm not sure if this was due to the bike riding (I can't think of why it would be) or just coincidence.
  • This pain has not gone away.
  • My back also hurts. A lot. I'm super bummed about this because one thing I noticed almost immediately after surgery was that my back felt really good. Of course, I wasn't walking at the time, but before surgery, as well as now, my back hurts even when I am just sitting or lying down.
  • I started taking meloxicam again on Friday. I don't think it's helping. My orthopedist also gave me a script for naproxen along with the meloxicam. He said if the meloxicam didn't work then I should try the naproxen. Maybe I will.
  • In trying to come up with explanations for why I suddenly feel so much worse, I've only come up with stopping the meloxicam and possibly the cortisone injection wearing off? Granted, I don't feel like the second cortisone injection actually helped, but maybe it did. Maybe I would have felt way worse without it, and now it's wearing off and I'm feeling, well, way worse.
  • I fell down the stairs a few weeks ago. I mentioned that I have a fear of falling down stairs that isn't totally irrational, because I have actually fallen down stairs a few times, as have my kids. It was a pretty minor fall (hence why I never even wrote out it) - just the last two steps and I think I fell backwards. My quadriceps and my back were what hurt the next day, and the day after that, if I recall correctly. I sort of blew if off because I was actually on my way to my parents' house, and I was rushing - hence the fall. I didn't say anything to my mom about it because she is super annoying about how much she dislikes our house and how scary she thinks our stairs are, and I just didn't feel like listening to her go on and on about our stairs (not that I even disagree, but at a certain point you have to get over it). Anyway, I suppose it's possible the fall did some damage, although I doubt it. I feel like my hip should have started hurting sooner if that were the cause of my current pain, but what do I know. 
  • It is snowing out. The sidewalks are very slippery. This is a little scary. 
I'm starting to lose hope that I'm actually getting better. It's not like all-out panic or anything, and like I've said, I've made friends with my pain. LOL. Nevertheless, it's somewhat deflating.

1 comment: