Sunday, October 19, 2014

10 Days and Going Strong (14 Weeks + 6 Days)

Despite the less-than-awesome news on the DVT front, my hip continues to feel really good. Considering I had been feeling good for a few days before my last visit to the orthopedist, I'm estimating that I've been feeling good for about ten days now. (But who's counting?) Today, I had one instance where I could feel the sharp pains trying to return for about five steps while taking my daughter shoe shopping, but... they went away.

I've been trying to think of the reasons I've been feeling so good, not so much because I care WHY I feel good, but because so far, every time I start to feel good it has been short-lived. So just in case the pain returns, here are some possible explanations for why I feel so good right now.
  1. Maybe I'm finally healing. Obviously this would be the best option. :)
  2. I stopped doing PT. I haven't been to PT in almost two weeks. And... I hate to say it, but not doing PT has helped way more than all the things I've tried in PT over the past two months or so, including the beloved massages. Granted, this could just be a coincidence if #1 is the case (fingers crossed), but nonetheless, I'm not missing PT at all. 
  3. I started to take meloxicam in the morning instead of the night. Apparently dizziness is a possible side effect of meloxicam, so I was worried about the side effects it would have on me if I took it in the morning. Once I started taking it at night, I just never got out of that cycle until my orthopedist recommended taking it in the morning. Again, this could just be coincidence if #1 is the case (fingers crossed).
  4. I never sleep on my left side without lying on a pillow. Every since my non-operated side started hurting, sleeping on my side has made it worse. Unfortunately, I often roll onto my side in my sleep and wake up this way. I used an extra pillow on and off since surgery, but lately I've been vigilant about making sure my extra pillow is in place before I fall asleep. This makes my sleeping situation look fairly ridiculous, since I also sleep with my right leg on a huge pillow. (Even if the DVT goes away, I think I'm going to have a hard time sleeping without the pillow.) However, it is good protection against my son, who has been coming into our room in the early morning and crawling in bed with us. It defines my territory. :)
  5. I stopped stressing about the pain.
  6. I've been much happier at work. Combined with #5, my mental state has been much better than it has been in the past.
At night, I continue to ice and stretch both hips religiously, and I'm thrilled this is keeping the pain away. Before, when I did this, I feel like it just got me back to my baseline after my pain increased to unacceptable levels during the day. I hope this means I've busted up this ridiculous pain cycle I seem to have been stuck in for the past two months. 

I know every time I post something like this, I have to post something a few days later retracting it. But since this is the longest stretch of time that I've gone with very little pain, I can only hope it's different this time. Hope is never a bad thing. :)

2 comments: