Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Blood Clots and Fried Green Tomatoes (14 Weeks + 1 Day)

I'm not going to lie, I'm not in the greatest mood right now. Although, I did just eat, so hopefully my mood will improve by the time I'm finished with this. :)

Anyway, I just got back from my 'stat' ultrasound, and as you may have guessed, it's not exactly the news I was hoping for. Apparently it's business blood clots as usual. I mean, I understand this might be something I have to deal with for six months or a year or even a lifetime in a worst case scenario, but I feel so much better than I did before, so I had imagined some major improvement in my situation. The tech did say it looked as if things had cleared up a little, but I can't rule out the possibility she was saying that just to make me feel better and to make herself feel better by not being the bearer of bad news. After all, none of this was an official diagnosis.

Apparently the back of my knee is still very clotted, which I hate to say I sort of knew, on some level. When my orthopedist did his blood clot test, which we know he sucks at and does not work on me, I didn't even try to exaggerate because I knew I was getting an ultrasound, which would tell the objective truth. (Plus, it really didn't hurt much at all.) However, then I reminded him that my blood clot went all the way up my thigh, too. So then he pushed on the back of my knee and asked if that hurt and I reflexively responded, 'OUCH! That does hurt!' He seemed somewhat taken aback, because I never scream like that. I was actually somewhat surprised myself by how much it hurt, but I guess my hope was that the pain was just from residual swelling. Ahhhh, denial.

In other news:
  • My husband made crepes for breakfast this morning, and they were awful, or at least mine was. This is weird because he's quite a proficient (and pretty awesome) crepe-maker normally. The kids didn't complain, although they are not discriminating. Perhaps I just got the part of the batter that was not mixed well. At any rate, I could NOT eat my crepe and had to throw it away after my husband left to take my daughter to school.
  • By around 10:45, I was starving, especially as my colleagues started warming up their lunches in the microwave, and all the yummy smells of frozen TV dinners wafted into my office. LOL.
  • I left around 11:15 for my 11:45 check-in and 12:00 appointment, which was stupid. I'm so used to going to PT and to my orthopedist, which really is a good 30-40 minutes away, office to office. However, I quickly realized that the imaging place was actually only about five minutes from the university. Oops.
  • I ran a quick errand and still arrived somewhat early. I got checked in immediately and then sat... and sat... and sat some more. I knew I was early, but eventually I checked the time and it was 12:23. 
  • Eventually, I went in for the ultrasound and immediately saw the reason for the delay: it was a new tech. I was a little bummed out by this because the tech who did my last ultrasound was fabulous - very competent and readily shared information with me. Plus, you figure it's never a bad thing for a repeat ultrasound to be done by the same person. Fortunately, the new tech was being trained by the tech who did my original ultrasound, who remembered me from the last time. And since she was talking the new tech through the whole procedure, I sort of figured out what they were doing. (FYI: If they stop and take a picture and use their little tool to draw a line across a black circle, it's a blood clot. I know you were dying to know that, ha ha.)
  • At any rate, the new tech was (understandably) sloooooooow, and the ultrasound took foreeeeeever, and I didn't get home until after 1:00, at which point I was very hungry and very grouchy.
  • When I got home, I made fried green tomatoes, which I don't even really know to make. My husband erroneously told me it was going to freeze last night, so I went out and picked a bunch of tomatoes. It did not freeze, and now I have a bunch of green tomatoes in my kitchen. And since I've rarely met a fried food I couldn't eat, I figured what the heck. They weren't bad considering my total lack of direction.
And now... I am still somewhat grouchy, but at least not hungry anymore. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment