Monday, October 12, 2015

9 Years, 364 Days to Go

I took my first tamoxifen today.

I got up, and first thing, before I could even think about it or make an excuse about why I shouldn't take it, went downstairs and just swallowed the damn thing already (along with my vitamin D, vitamin C, multivitamin, and baby aspirin). The sort of funny thing is that I almost took it by accident yesterday, because I wasn't really paying attention as I took all of my pills out of their various containers, and the tamoxifen happens to look a lot like vitamin C. (Do I even need all these vitamins anymore? Who knows?)

After I swallowed it, I waited for the world to end, and it didn't.

All that happened is that I immediately felt nauseous. (And yes, I'm aware that was 100% psychological.)

I'm waiting for the side effects, but so far, nothing. No cataracts yet, no 20-pound weight gain - praise God. (Who are we kidding? It has only been four hours.)

So that's one pill down, 3,646 more to go. That's 10 years x 365 days/year minus three days for leap years in 2016, 2020, and 2024 minus the one I took today. So 3,650 - 4 = 3,646.*

Not that I'm counting the days or anything.

* ETA: And I'm a idiot. Leap years have an extra day, duh. (Thank you, Lexi!) Well, what is three more days in the large scheme of 3,650?

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! A momentous day. I am so proud of you. 9 years, 364 (timeout, don't we get EXTRA days thanks to leap years?! so, maybe you can quit the tamoxifen a few days early in (gulp) Oct. 2025...) days to go....YOU CAN DO IT. You can do it. You are doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete