Friday, October 2, 2015

DIEP Reconstruction Aftermath: 24 Days

It is Friday, so I feel like I should be making the trek up to the University Health Clinic to see Dr. T. However, at my last appointment, he said things looked good enough that I do not need to go back for another month, which is actually going to end up being more like six weeks. So hopefully he meant it when he said everything looks good, and complications this far out from surgery are rare. My fingers are crossed.

At any rate, today was a big day for me (insert slightly sarcastic tone): I ran errands! First I went to the post office to mail a package, then I went to the pharmacy to finally have my prescription for tamoxifen filled. While I was waiting, I went to the liquor store and bought three bottles of wine, a bottle of sake, and a bottle of port, because we are having friends over tonight and I was indecisive about what we should drink. I'm pretty sure that carrying these out to the car violated my lifting restrictions, but sometimes sacrifices have to made in the name of alcohol. LOL.

So now, I've got a bottle of tamoxifen sitting on my kitchen table, and I just need to grow some balls boobs courage and start taking it already. Ugh, ugh, ugh! Have I mentioned that I fucking hate cancer?

But the good news is that it feels really good to be getting back into the swing of things. And while running errands is not particularly exciting, it is exciting to not feel trapped inside the house anymore. Until today, the most I had done was drive my son to preschool and drive myself to go get a massage. Granted, I don't see any long trips to the mall in my near future, but it's nice to know short trips are completely do-able (and I almost never go to the mall anyway).

All in all, this is far less down time than I had imagined - or at least far less complete, lying-on-the-couch down time. Heck, I ordered a whole season of True Detective and have only watched three episodes. I feel good enough that I want to start setting some goals to get myself through the end of the year, and start laying the foundation for my 'new normal.'

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read this post. Also I'm glad you were up for going shopping for wine. But you shouldn't have to carry that. Send me a list of your favorites because I'm all about wine delivery now. 😊

    ReplyDelete