Tuesday, October 27, 2015

DIEP Reconstruction Aftermath: 7 Weeks

It's hard to say whether there has been no improvement in the past week, or if my expectations are just getting higher. I still feel good, but not stellar. In some ways, I feel like certain things are getting worse, like itching in my abdominal scar and the pain in the rib that Dr. T messed with. Also, after lots and lots of sitting - first on a road trip involving 20 hours in the car over a period of three days, followed by deciding to go back to work - I've learned a couple things. First, sitting is really bad for my abdominal tightness; I'm pretty sure the tightness is worse than a week ago. Second, my hips (remember my hips?!) are still a problem in a bad way. Oh my God. I don't actually have the energy to whine about this right now, because I've basically spent the past few days in misery, feeling sorry for myself, and I'm done for now. But seriously, oh my God.

So to make a long story short, I'm pretty much where I was a week ago except my hips are killing me.

I'm also still adjusting to taking tamoxifen, which makes me tired if I take it in the morning, and gives me morning sickness if I take it at night. Before experimenting with anti-nausea medications, I decided to try taking the tamoxifen at yet another time. I'm now on day 3 of taking it at 4:30 PM, and that actually seems to be better so far. Minimal fatigue, minimal hot flashes, minimal nausea. According to my husband, I toss the covers off in the middle of the night and take off my pajamas, then get cold and steal the comforter back from him, but as long as I can do it in my sleep, it doesn't bother me. :) Along the same lines, I am thrilled that my insomnia is pretty much gone, or at least back to my pre-cancer levels. I've been about a week without a sleeping pill or melatonin, and I've been sleeping great. I did take half of a hydrocodone for the past few nights, but that was truly because of pain and not cheating for sleeping.

Overall, I feel good, but not great. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of progress because I was hoping to feel STELLAR by now, and I definitely don't. On the upside, I am in a good place emotionally. I at least feel very even-keeled, which is practically a miracle for me. I continue to feel blessed by the goodness that surrounds me, and I have really been trying to focus on that.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are in a good place emotionally and that you are finally sleeping well without medication. I remember the anxiety all too well and mine passed after surgery and the hard chemo I was on. Life does get better!!! I feel bad that your hips are causing you so much pain. I wish I could take it all away for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found you from BCO, and I promise not to be bored by you medical adventures! I just wanted to introduce myslf, I m tomboy on BCO, and tonight I will start reading from the very beginning. I have a blog too, but it needs work, and is sadly neglected right now I keep letting months go by, and I reeeeeally need to edit! So, hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I'm always happy to connect with other folks from BCO! And yes, blogs are a lot of work...

      Delete