Thursday, May 7, 2015

When Life Gives You Lemons...

A couple of my friends have sent me this link, so I thought I would share it here:

150506_EYE_EmpathyCards8
I LOVE THEM! :)

Unfortunately, there is some mixed news on the cancer front, and the day isn't even over yet.

The good news is that the estrogen and progesterone tests for the tumor came back, and it is highly sensitive to both estrogen and progesterone. This means the tumor should be very treatable. 

The bad news is that the spot on my rib that showed up in the chest CT is slightly suspicious, so Dr. L consulted with the oncologist I'll be seeing next Thursday, and they agreed it needed further investigation. So I will need to have a test to check it out. Dr. L did say that it looks more like trauma than cancer, but I honestly can't think of a time I ever injured my ribs. And as she put it, 'Breast cancer does like to invade bones.' 

The location also seems suspect, considering it is my on my left 7th rib. According to the report: There is a lytic lesion with a sclerotic rim in the anterolateral left seventh rib and measuring up to 0.6 cm in axial dimension. Also: There is a mildly prominent left axillary lymph node which is nonspecific. Both of these things have the potential to be... bad.

Ugh. 

And apparently I am deficient in Vitamin D.

The good news is that I suppose it is better to know the bad news before the treatment plan is established. And I feel confident that Dr. L is being extremely thorough. So far she has been absolutely fantastic. That said, remember how long I stuck with my orthopedist because he was such a nice guy? And how I finally came to the conclusion that I don't need a nice orthopedist, I need one with whom I will not have a long-term relationship? While Dr. L has been great in the 36 hours that I've known her, talk about a doctor you hope not to have a long-term relationship with!

No comments:

Post a Comment