Thursday, June 11, 2015

Consultation at University Hospital

I'll start off by saying that today was a good day.

I went up to University Hospital for a 'consultation,' which my husband set up, based on a few e-mails I forwarded to him, and I had NO IDEA what to expect. Overall, the appointment was not extremely informative, but at the same time extremely helpful in that it was NOT informative.

Let me explain. 

Basically the medical oncologist we met with told me the exact same thing Dr. M told me, which is good, because I really liked Dr. M, and wanted to be able to trust that he was current in his knowledge, and that I could get good care close to home. At the same time, so much of what Dr. M told me was that there was a lot of uncertainty, and that the path for my treatment would have to be based on gut feelings and not data, which is difficult to swallow, especially as a science-oriented person. Of course, I saw Dr. M before I had the results of my oncotype, so there was even more uncertainty, but apparently even with the oncotype results, there is no clear-cut recommendation. 

I guess part of me was sort of thinking that because I was going to University Hospital, the folks up there would be able to enlighten me on all of the latest information and treatments, and they did, but what they told me wasn't any different than everything I've been told all along. All the doctors I had seen prior to this had cited the same studies, and given me the same ambiguous recommendations. This is strangely disappointing, and yet a huge relief all at once. I'm relieved that the care I've felt good about is in line with what is supposedly The Best Care available, yet disappointed that The Best Care available doesn't provide more definitive answers. I suppose you can't have it both ways.

The medical oncologist I saw today, Dr. E, was extremely thorough in all of his explanations. even more than Dr. M. This, of course, appealed to my husband, who also works in a medical field, and loves to talk about the nitty gritty details of clinical trials. However, the clinical trials that Dr. E cited were the same ones Dr. M had talked about, as apparently there are only two major studies available that are really relevant to my situation. The funny thing is that Dr. E spoke to us as if he knew that we knew exactly what he was talking about. If I weren't a cell and molecular biologist with numerous consultations with Dr. Google, I wouldn't have had any idea what he was talking about. I'm not sure if it's just dumb luck or if he read my file really closely before the meeting, because he definitely talked to me in a way that could have easily been a few levels above my head. 

The major points he made with confidence were:
  1. He agreed with Dr. M that I did not need to take Xarelto anymore (YAY!!), that post-surgical DVT was different than 'unprovoked' DVT, especially since it was the result of hip surgery, which carries a higher risk of DVT than other types of surgery. However, he did say that because I now have a history of DVT, I am at increased risk for blood clotting. It isn't the same risk as unprovoked DVT, but it is still a risk factor that we should consider.  
  2. He concurred that I would not really benefit from chemo. He said that he would absolutely not recommend a 'full' chemo, but might consider a 'light,' 'TC chemo,' which I believe is what both Dr. L and Dr. M alluded to at some point. 'Light' chemo MIGHT reduce my risk of recurrence by 1-2%, based on some data. However, those data were based on women with higher risk cancer than mine. OTOH, in most cases, those were older women, and just like Dr. M said, we had to add in additional risk because of my age, which brought us back to the 1-2% range. However, when you consider the side effects, some of which can be serious (e.g., leukemia), he didn't feel like it was worth it from a risk vs. benefit point of view.
Honestly, chemo was pretty much off the table in my mind, and I'm not sure what I would have done if he had recommended it. After a while, I told him I really didn't want to do chemo, and didn't need convincing that I didn't need it, and to my surprise, he seemed sort of relieved and said that many of the women he dealt with approached cancer with a no-holds-barred attitude, and wanted to do every treatment possible no matter what, so he liked to be thorough in his explanation of risk vs. benefit, which I appreciate. 

He did say that cancer at 40 is different than cancer at 60, just as Dr. M had said. And it's not just because at 40, you will likely live for more years than you will at 60; the cancer itself is different, for reasons researchers are trying to understand. He said that recent pregnancy was being investigated as a risk factor, along with ovarian function (which is obviously related to the former). His gut feeling was that it had to do with younger women having better ovarian function, and was therefore somewhat of a proponent of ovarian suppression.  

So we talked about ovarian suppression, whether it be by disabling my ovaries medically, through monthly shots, or by surgical removal. This, just so that I could take a class of drugs for post-menopausal women called aromatase inhibitors (AIs) Just as Dr. M and Dr. U said, ovarian suppression + AI was, in some cases, more effective than just tamoxifen. In some cases. Dr. E went on to explain that the results of the study that this was based on were difficult to interpret because there were two groups in the study: those who had not done chemo, and those who had done chemo. For those who had not done chemo, there was no significant benefit to ovarian suppression vs. tamoxifen. In fact, both groups in the non-chemo group fared very well. It was for the group who had done chemo, which likely suggests a more aggressive and later-stage cancer, that the ovarian suppression + AI was extremely beneficial, reducing the risk of recurrence by 35-40%. At that point, I was wondering why ovarian suppression would be at all beneficial, and as if he had read my mind, he said that the real problem is that there were very few 40-year-olds who fit my particular profile in the study. (Ahhh, that difficult situation of being the 'n of 1' as one of my professors used to call it.) 

I've since done some consulting with Dr. Google, and found an article that summarizes one of the studies he was talking about. I love this quote from the article, which basically sums up the difficulty of my particular situation: 

For me, if I go back to my practice on Monday, and I see a woman under 35 with a hormone sensitive breast cancer, I will now know what to advise that woman. Also, when I see the woman who is 48 and has a small, nonaggressive breast cancer, I will feel more comfortable that she can do very well with tamoxifen alone.

As Dr. E pointed out, I'm exactly in the middle. 

Goldilocks. 

Dr. E also made a few other interesting points that had not come up before: 
  1. The oncotype DX assumes that you will take tamoxifen for at least five years. If you don't, the results mean nothing. In other words, the entire test is based on the incidences of recurrence in women who took tamoxifen post-surgery. Even if your oncotype DX is a zero, that means NOTHING if you don't undergo anti-hormone therapy.
  2. While he agreed that I did not need to be on Xarelto anymore, he said there were not any definitive data that taking aspirin while on tamoxifen would help. Estrogen-driven blood clotting cannot necessarily be negated by aspirin? Or something? 
In the end, he recommended ovarian suppression plus an aromatase inhibitor, but with hesitation. He said this was based on two things: my prior history of DVT, and my age. Without the DVT, he would be fine with tamoxifen. If I were slightly older, he would be fine with tamoxifen. But... I'm in no-woman's territory. And I get the feeling he wanted to err on the side of aggression. 

I think I'm opposite most women. 8% versus 6-7%, with margins of error of 1-3%, doesn't make a treatment seem that significant to me, especially when you consider the side effects. OTOH, I am done having kids and am not particularly attached to my ovaries or menstrual cycles. At the same time, I dread the effects of menopause in the same way I dreaded having a mammogram. The mammogram turned out to be not a big deal at all - nothing like having your boob slammed in a car door, which is the comparison I had heard via some e-mail meme pre-Facebook. If menopause is not as big a deal as it is made out to be in the same way that a mammogram was not as big a deal as it is made out to be, then maybe I'd be okay with it. It's definitely food for thought. 

After Dr. E's visit, he said that a radiation oncologist was planning to see us. He also said that we could consult with their surgeon if we wanted, but he was confident she would not say anything different than my surgeon, that everyone agreed that re-excision for positive margins for DCIS was what anyone would recommend. So we declined the meeting with the surgeon but agreed to the meeting with the radiation oncologist, which was actually very informative, since I have yet to see a radiation oncologist. 

We actually met with both the chief resident and a radiation oncologist, who informed us that the chief resident was graduating tomorrow, so she was going to let her do all of the talking. Both of them were super duper awesome, which is actually unfortunate, since it would be completely impractical for me to have an out-of-town radiation oncologist. However, they provided very good information about what to expect from radiation therapy. A lot of this centered around side effects, some of which were somewhat alarming. These included things I already knew, such as fatigue and pain, but also increased risk of rib fractures, scarring on my lungs, and heart problems. I sort of rolled my eyes about the rib fracture, seeing as how I apparently already fractured my rib without knowing it, and both of them knew exactly what I was talking about, which means they really read my record carefully, which is fairly impressive.

Oh yeah, and a rare side effect of radiation therapy is... cancer. Radiation-induced cancer. This brought me to the point that I've always pondered - how radiation can both cure and cause cancer. The radiation oncologist did a nice job of explaining how cancerous cells had damaged checkpoints and therefore were killed by radiation, whereas normal cells can repair themselves, even with therapeutic doses of radiation. She went on to say it was true that some cells did not respond to radiation, but this was very rare, then added that if I was opposed to radiation, I should consider a mastectomy. LOL. I assured her that as a science-y person, I believed data, I had just never heard a great explanation for how radiation worked without causing healthy cells to become cancerous, but that her explanation was the best I had heard. She assured me that the data showed there was a 1-2% chance of developing cancer as a result of radiation therapy, which is basically the same chance of developing DVT post hip surgery. I wonder if I should believe that my bad luck has already been exhausted or whether I just have bad luck in general. Ha. 

Anyway, apparently doing radiation over the course of four weeks as opposed to six is The New Thing. They said they do four-week treatments at the medical school, but warned me that some places still consider six weeks to be standard, and that I might want to consider questioning this if it came up. Then the radiation oncologist added that, to be fair, there weren't actually any data for women in my age range, which I'm starting to realize is the norm. However, there were plenty of data to suggest that four weeks of radiation in other age ranges were just as effective as six weeks, and there were no data to suggest that this should be different for women in my age range. So basically this was good information to know if I wanted to advocate for myself for a four-week vs. six-week course (which would actually be nice). A four-week course of radiation delivers the same dose overall, just in a shorter time frame. It is three weeks of radiation to the entire breast followed by one week just in the spot where the tumor was. In a six-week course, it is five weeks to the entire breast and one week to the spot where the tumor was.

Since they implied I should try to get a 'good' and 'current' doctor, I asked for a recommendation for a radiation oncologist in town, and was happy that the doctor they suggested was one that had been recommended by a colleague. I like it when doctors have multiple references, especially after they emphasized the importance of making sure the radiation treatments would stay away from my heart (especially since you're only 40!). Somehow, although radiation has always been a part of the treatment plan, I haven't met with a radiation oncologist. Setting up an appointment is on my 'to do' list for tomorrow. 

Ultimately, I'm glad that I went. It was good for peace of mind, but I am fairly sure I want to stick with Dr. M. I had a sleepless night last night, despite taking part of an Ambien, partly because that is the norm for me, but also because I wasn't sure what I would do if I got radically different advice today. Although Dr. E explained everything in a slightly different way than Dr. M, it really didn't change the overall jist. Maybe I'm biased toward Dr. M at this point because I'm not sure how I feel about ovarian suppression, and I want a doctor who understands that, and Dr. M definitely does. Of course, I don't want to choose a route that is stupid from a statistical standpoint, and after visiting with Dr. E, I'm confident that opting for tamoxifen might be slightly riskier, but is by no means reckless. At any rate, now that I have this additional information, I feel like I can go forward in a more informed and confident fashion. 

I always feel sort of weird 'shopping around' for opinions, but apparently they are very used to this at University Hospital, and treated it very much like a second opinion from the start. I feel comfort in knowing that I can always go back for another second opinion if I feel like I need it. I think the tricky thing about my cancer is that it is both straight-forward and not straight-forward at the same time. It is straight-forward in that it is early stage, not in my lymph nodes, hormone-sensitive, and not super aggressive. This means that after radiation therapy, whatever treatment route I choose, it is unlikely to have a drastic effect on the outcome. Even if I had an oncologist who said I should do nothing, or no oncologist at all, I'd still have a much greater chance than not of no recurrence in 5-10 years. As Dr. M said, there is an 80% chance that everything I do with him will be a complete waste of time. OTOH, it is perhaps possible that I could greatly reduce my chance of recurrence with other therapies; those chances are just unknown. A 10% to 8% chance doesn't seem huge to me, but a 10% to 5% chance does. Unfortunately, as both Dr. M and Dr. E concur, I'm the one who has to decide. Doctors can give me data and talk about clinical trials with me, but ultimately, it comes down to what I want to do.

As Dr. E told me, my case is ambiguous enough that I could shop around for oncologist after oncologist, and a few would probably recommend chemo, a few would recommend tamoxifen only, a few would recommend ovarian suppression + AI, and a few might be okay with lumpectomy + radiation only. And none of them would be negligent, in his opinion. This is both comforting and alarming at the same time. I can make a choice, and no one will question it. 

At the same time, I feel like it's a pretty big choice.

3 comments:

  1. Ummmmmm wow.

    1. Really glad you got this consult! Even though it's clear that this is all a bit ambiguous (ha), at least another respected group is confirming this.

    2. Of COURSE you fall in the grey area. Ugh!

    3. Yay no more Xarelto.

    4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. 4. What a tough choice about what to do next. I think trusting your gut here is really the best that can be done(after soliciting opinions from respected physicians as you have). 40 is a very tricky age here, it seems. And yeah menopause has weirdly been on my mind, mostly because I hear it leads to..insomnia!!! But having that already may make it moot lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Insomnia is definitely one of the things they mentioned with ovarian suppression ( = fake menopause). As IF I need more things preventing me from sleeping!

      Delete