Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Re-Excision Lumpectomy

Wow, that was a long day, but I wanted to write a brief update. I am doing well, and already feel soooo much better than I did at this point the last time around. I am feeling a lot of pain, mostly throbbing pain. When I woke up from surgery I seriously thought they had done a mastectomy, and my pain level was through the roof. This improved fairly quickly after a dose of fentanyl through my IV and two hydrocodones. I didn't get as much pain medicine as the first time, which I think actually helped, because last time I was spinning for the entire day, and that in itself was so unpleasant I think it negated a lot of the pain relief. I got home and got settled about two hours after my first dose of hydrocodone and could not believe I had to wait another two hours until I could take more. (Do I sound like a junkie or what? LOL.) But because I was actually fairly coherent, I was able to manage the pain very effectively with ice and heat. I will definitely be ready for another dose of hydrocodone in an hour, but overall the pain is nothing like the last time. My whole breast, what's left of it anyway, alternates between an intense, dull ache and throbbing pain, but I can move my arm pretty well. Whatever pain I have when I move my arm was already there from before, and I don't feel like this surgery added any additional pain, so that is a huge relief.

I was extremely drowsy all afternoon, and couldn't seem to stay awake for more than an hour or so at a time. I'm a little worried about whether or not I'll be able to sleep well tonight, but... at least I don't have anywhere I have to be tomorrow, and my husband took the day off, so I don't have to worry about the kids. When I got home, I was STARVING, which was actually a good thing, because last time I didn't have much of an appetite for, like, a good 4-5 days. I ate a bowl of soup before drifting off to Seinfeld DVDs, then a friend brought a pizza over (the same friend who brought a pizza last time :)), and I actually ate two huge slices.

I will give a more detailed update tomorrow, but I just wanted to check in and say that I feel So. Much. Better. than last time. I basically feel crappy, but it is typical post-surgery crappy, and so much better than I expected. I am pretty much elated by how much less crappy I feel than I thought I would. I am confident this is going to be a much smoother and easier recovery, and I am extremely thankful for that. Thank you all for your continued love and support - it means so much to me.

1 comment:

  1. HOORAY!!! SO happy to read this and hope it bodes well for a simpler recovery this time around. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete