Friday, June 19, 2015

Post Re-Excision Lumpectomy: Day 2

I've come to the conclusion that Day 2 post-surgery is my least favorite, at least of the surgeries I've had, which admittedly is a very small number. The day after surgery, you're not expecting/expected to feel good, and you can lie around all day and not feel bad about it. But by the second day, you feel much better, and you feel antsy, and you want to do stuff, only you don't quite feel good enough, and your husband goes back to work, and you have to take care of the kids, and overall you don't really get any rest despite the fact that you still need it. And it also seems like your pain is actually worse than the day before, but that's probably because you aren't taking pain meds and you're up and about doing a lot of stuff that causes pain.

All in all, I feel a little cranky. Originally, my husband told me he was taking the day off, but then he didn't. I get it, I really do. My husband's boss has been great about giving him the time off that he needs to take care of me, take care of the kids, take care of Stuff, and for that I am truly grateful. I have no idea how people with inflexible jobs and jerkwad bosses could do this. At the same time, the very thing that makes jobs flexible also makes them not flexible. In my job, for example, I can 'take the day off' and not grade papers, but those papers have to get graded eventually. If I don't grade them because I'm off having surgery, that's my prerogative, but I still have to grade them at some point. It's not like a shift in a department store where you just get someone to cover for you, then go in the next time and pick up right where you left off. My husband's job is the same way; he doesn't work regular 8-5 hours, but in the end, he has to get stuff done, one way or another. And so... he worked today. I woke up around 8:00 and went downstairs to find my husband on a teleconference and my son playing in the sandbox, at which point I felt obligated to feed my son breakfast and keep him out of my husband's way. And that's about how the rest of the day went.

I really shouldn't complain, though. While I do have some intense, throbbing pain still, I have it pretty good. My parents came over this afternoon and took the kids on a bike ride to get some ice cream. Since my son is only three and just recently learned how to ride a bike (with training wheels), and the ice cream place is almost a mile away, this took a couple of hours. Around the same time my parents came to get the kids, a stellar friend came over with food for dinner. (Gee, don't you feel sorry for me?) After she left, I debated whether I should take my long-awaited 48-hour-post-surgery shower, or try to grab a nap. I eventually opted for the cat nap. And now, my husband has extracted himself from work and taken the kids to the pool, so I think I'll head for the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment