Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I AM okay! (5 Weeks + 2 Days / 12 Days UIRTW)

I've never been so happy to be wrong before. So I live to tell about another day. :)

I'm still bleeding, but not alarmingly so. However, I lost so much blood over the past 24 hours I looked like a Geisha girl this morning. Three different people told me before 10 AM that they would pray for me. Seriously, did I look that bad?!

I went to PT this morning, and it felt good to try to get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, my hip (oh yeah, remember my hip?) is not stellar. It's not terrible, either, but it is actually noticeably sore. Maybe it is just because the pain in my leg is actually improving so now I notice my hip pain more. At any rate, my therapist suggested taking it easy and not pushing things too hard. I was able to do a reasonable amount of exercises; the only thing I can absolutely not do right now is go up on my toes. That causes excruciating pain in my calf. 

My day-to-day plan is to just go about my daily routine, but not do anything crazy. I should try to be active, but not hard core. My PT also advised against long shopping trips to the mall. Fortunately, I don't really like shopping and I definitely don't like the mall. Ha. It's logical to think that rigorous activity might make a blood clot break loose, although there are no data that I can find about this one way or another. But better safe than sorry. Not that I have anything hard core planned considering my hip still limits me significantly (oh yeah, remember my hip?). Apparently the idea of bed rest versus ambulation is unresolved in the management of DVT, but there is little evidence to suggest that just walking around increases the chances of pulmonary embolism. And bed rest may actually make the clot grow. So... moderation seems to be the best plan.

Also, my additional consultation with Dr. Google made me realize that the ultrasound tech was right when she said it was a good thing we caught this. I mean, duh, of course it is, but when she said it, she really meant it. Given where the blood clot begins, in the proximal femoral vein, I had a huge risk of pulmonary embolism. According to this article: It has been suggested that about one half of patients with an untreated proximal DVT will develop a pulmonary embolism (PE) within 3 months. Yikes. I've been trying to find literature on the risk of PE while on an anticoagulant, and while it's obviously much improved over a 50% chance of PE, some of the articles aren't that encouraging about the long-term prognosis. It's not like once you're on medication you're totally fine. But for now I'm just trying to stay in the present, and praying all the prayers will send some healing powers my way. :)

2 comments: