Sunday, August 17, 2014

Post Surgery: 5 Weeks + 5 Days / 9 Days UIRTW

I guess the good news about yesterday is that I was busy enough to miss my daily update. But my original plan was to ditch the daily updates around the time the crutches were supposed to be going away, so we are in bonus material anyway. :)

Anyway, compared to the day before, yesterday was sort of a let-down. My daughter starts school on Monday, so I took her to buy school supplies. This is the longest I've ever waited to buy supplies, but there is not really a way to push a shopping cart on crutches, and this definitely required a shopping cart. This was my first real shopping escapade since surgery, and unfortunately it just about killed me. Okay, so not literally, but by the end, I was quite literally leaning on the shopping cart and using it as a walker. We had to go to a second store to buy black and white composition books, and I had to use a crutch. And I don't mean I had to bring it just as back up; I really had to use it. Ugh, so disheartening, especially considering the shopping trip itself was just over an hour, which is how long my classes are. After we got her school supplies, I took her out to lunch. By the time we got home, I was so exhausted that I lay down on the futon and had to sleep for two hours. Needless to say, I'm feeling slightly panicked about the upcoming semester, even with my reduced teaching load.

The good news is that after the nap, I felt much better and was able to do a little bit of work in my garden. The tough part about the garden is that although I should be able to squat down now - I no longer have restrictions on my thigh flexion - the swelling in my leg still makes that impossible. In fact, trying to squat down is what made me notice the swelling in the first place, which eventually led to the discovery of the blood clot. Although I think the swelling is improving, it's still pretty significant. So if I want to work in the garden or get anything off the floor, my hamstrings get a good stretching. Good thing I'm very flexible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment