Sunday, July 27, 2014

Post Surgery: 2 Weeks + 5 Days

The bad and the good...

The bad: I missed my daily update yesterday.

The good: This means I'm thinking of other things besides my hip.

The bad: Last night was the first time that it hit me that I am so over the crutches. Seriously, they have to go. I think the first week after surgery felt pretty slow, then the next (almost) two weeks just flew by, and now it seems like this last week is going to last forever. Enough already!

The good: I managed to get rid of my leg pain by taking half of a hydrocodone Friday evening and another half before bed. It didn't even really make me goofy, I slept great, and enjoyed a pain-free day yesterday. I also took my therapist's advice and had my husband use a rolling pin (literally - a rolling pin from our kitchen) on my leg. That helped a lot. Then I tried it on him and he loved it. It was nice to reciprocate seeing as how I've been constantly whining and asking him to massage the various parts of my body that have been spazzing out since the surgery.

The bad: I can feel the pain creeping back.

The good: At least I know how I can get rid of it.

The bad: I don't want to keep taking pain pills. I see this as a huge step backwards. It is like when my son was born. Despite being a month and a half early and weighing three and a half pounds, he did not need oxygen. He breathed fine on his own for over two weeks. However, a few days before he left the NICU, he suddenly needed to be on oxygen (which was a pain). The nurse explained that this was because he was eating better, only he couldn't eat well and breathe well all at once. So, we had to go backward to go forward. Maybe the fact that I'm getting around well and doing more and increasing my activity in PT is causing my leg pain, and I have to go backward to go forward.

The good: I feel like I'm in the home stretch of the hardest part of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment