Friday, July 25, 2014

Post Surgery: 2 Weeks + 2 Days

Ugh, ugh, ugh! Last night, the pain in my right leg was very bad again, so I decided to try taking a muscle relaxant that my PA had prescribed for me a long time ago - cyclobenzaprine. I didn't want to take the hydrocodone again, because that made me spin and prevented me from sleeping, plus it wore off in the middle of the night, and the intense pain returned and woke me up from whatever early stage of the sleep cycle I had managed to get into. I had never taken the muscle relaxant before because my husband said the side effects were horrible, and I could not be dealing with horrible side effects when I had to teach. (I actually tried one of the milder medications my PA had promised 'wouldn't make me too stupid,' and I almost had to cancel class the next morning.) However, since my leg seemed to be in full spasm last night, a muscle relaxant seemed to be appropriate.

Let me just say that my husband was right. When I woke up this morning, it was like a had a Benadryl hangover x 10. OMG! And honestly, if my husband and the kids hadn't woken me up, I'm certain I would have slept until noon. In fact, after they left, I promptly went back to sleep and did sleep until noon. When I woke up, I was STILL feeling fuzzy and like I could probably not drive safely.

After an hour or so, I came out of the fog enough to drive a short distance to the bank and get money for our cleaning lady, who comes every other Wednesday. (This is a luxury that my husband asked for for Christmas last year; how romantic.) I almost canceled, but the house really needed cleaning after the two weeks of chaos since my surgery (usually we do clean some in between cleanings), plus my brother and his family are coming on Sunday.

After I went to the bank, I went to the farmers market with my parents, mainly to stay out of the cleaning lady's way for at least a little while. Normally we all stay away the whole time - we usually go out to dinner - but I didn't see that happening today. I left a note asking her to clean the master bedroom and bathroom first so I could just hang out there and not be in her way. When I got home from the farmers market, I went upstairs and dozed on and off until my husband got home with the kids around 6:00.

The good news is that my leg feels awesome, so at least the drug served its purpose. :) If the pain stays away, maybe it was worth it. In the evening, I tried using just one crutch and it definitely has its upsides! (I can carry stuff! OMG!!) Plus, it will make walking totally without crutches much easier, once that time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment