Thursday, July 24, 2014

Post Surgery: Day 5

Highlights:
  • I'm feeling a little more pain/discomfort than before, but I think that's because I'm doing a lot more. Also, a lot of the pain is not in my hip itself, but in my opposite hip, and my back. However, this was the case before the surgery as well so it's nothing new.
  • It's nothing unbearable, it's still very minimal, and I still feel very good considering. However, it does drive home the point that despite my initial feelings of awesomeness, I have a long recovery ahead to get back to normal. It's okay, though, I'm still feeling optimistic. I still feel way better than I had imagined feeling less than one week after surgery.
  • But I am tired. All the time. Maybe I need to take a vitamin or something. Or maybe I need to rest more. There's a novel idea. LOL.
  • I took another shower today, this time in the tub downstairs because I was too tired to go upstairs. It was quite an ordeal getting in and out, but my husband helped me.
  • I used saran wrap to try to keep my incisions dry and had failure #2.
  • When I redid the dressing, I put a couple extra layers on. When I took the original dressing off, I thought all the layers were overkill, but I now realize how helpful they were as far as preventing pain just from being bumped and poked, something my kids seem to have mastered. Although the incisions aren't that big, they're still more significant than I originally gave them credit for.
  • I cooked dinner tonight, and it felt good just because it was a first, and it also helped my husband out. I know this can't be easy for him; in fact, I know from experience that it can be harder to be on the other side. I definitely needed some help, but it was minimal. My husband brought one of our bar stools up from the basement so I could sit at our kitchen island while doing all the prep work. My parents bought us these nice bar stools back when we actually had a breakfast bar in our kitchen - three houses and two states ago. Even though they have never worked in a house since then, I just can't get rid of them because they're really nice. I was happy to be able to put one to use.
  • Sometimes I freak out when I think that I have more than three more weeks of this.
  • I'm also having a hard time believing that I'm going to 'be fine' by August 13th. 
  • But I'm trying to not get too far ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment