Monday, July 28, 2014

Post Surgery: Three Weeks!

Three weeks! Three weeks! = one week until my ditch the crutches date! Although, as the therapist told me today during PT, it's actually one week until I get to start weaning off the crutches. You know, in case I was envisioning waking up a week from today and throwing the crutches into the recycle bin, it's probably good to know that's not how it actually works.* LOL. However, I did actually make my PT appointments for next week today, to be sure that I could get in nice and early on Monday morning and start weaning ASAP. BecauseohmygodIamsoready.

* I'm never getting rid of these crutches. I wouldn't say I'm exactly superstitious, but I do believe in irony, and I figure the minute I ditch the crutches, I'll need crutches again. So why not keep them around, even if my reasoning fits into the 'insurance policy for crazy people' category? Heck, I've got a big basement.

A couple of notable things about today:
  • I woke up to a very bizarre and agonizing condition, and that is that I had a cramp in both my calf and my shin at the same time. Seriously, that's a first. I frequently get cramps in my calf muscles, but I've never had a cramp in my shin before! And the fact that it was happening at the same time as a cramp in my calf sort of floored me in terms of WTF is going on and how am I going to deal with this?! (Plus it was 5:00 in the morning, so I wasn't exactly thinking clearly.) The only fortunate thing about this was that it was in my left leg (non-operated on side), which made it slightly easier to deal with than if it had been on my bad side. However, normally I get rid of calf cramps by hopping out of bed and stretching my calves out so they just can't cramp up; I basically get rid of them through brute force. This morning was a bizarre experience watching my foot move up and down as my gastrocnemius and tibialis anterior fought it out. Eventually I decided to try standing up to see if that would help. It didn't, and I almost fell over. The pain in my cramped up leg was horrible, yet I couldn't put too much weight on my right side, which, yeah, leads to almost falling over. LOL. I sat back down and noticed the rolling pin by the side of my bed. Ha ha ha, how often do you find a rolling pin by the side of your bed?! (See this entry for the story on the rolling pin: http://39andhip.blogspot.com/2014/07/post-surgery-2-weeks-5-days.html) I used it to roll the cramp out of my shin, then I stretched the cramp out of my calf. So... thank God for random, post-surgery muscle spasms that led me to have a rolling pin by the side of my bed?!
  • I had a good PT session today, actually with a different person, because my regular guy was booked. I liked the new guy better, although he is actually not a PT, but a PT assistant, so I'm not sure how it works in terms of who gets what appointments and whatnot. Anyway, it was a little hard starting over at square one and explaining the pain in my left hip and knee and the random muscle spasms that have been afflicting my right leg since surgery and blah blah blah, but I did feel like the New Guy was more sensitive to all the pain I've been feeling all over my lower extremities since the surgery. My regular therapist is aware of the pain, but basically seems to think everything is copacetic as long as my right hip doesn't hurt. And while he may be right, I remain respectfully wary of this point of view. New Guy used the rolling pin on both hips and had me ice both sides, which actually really helped. I told him about my bizarre experience with simultaneous cramping in both my calf and my shin, and he told me he has only had a cramp ONCE IN HIS LIFE. I repeat: ONCE IN HIS LIFE!! Seriously, what planet does he come come from?!
  • I mentioned in a previous post that my husband had to go out of town for work this week, and that my brother and his family are also in town. Well, because it is apparently not enough of a challenge to handle two kids on crutches sans husband, I let my daughter talk me into a sleepover with my niece, who is only five and has never done a sleepover before. (The two other times my daughter has had someone over for a sleepover for the first time, it ended with the first-time sleepover-er going home in the middle of the night.) I guess I let it get out of hand while the cousins were plotting simply because my brother is quite a control freak and I never thought he would let it happen. His girls wear gender-neutral clothing, can't play with dolls or drink lemonade, and usually have to go to bed at 4:30 PM when they visit (because 4:30 PM here is 6:30 PM where they live). It never ever occurred to me that his daughter would be allowed to spend the night in a pink bedroom with I don't even know how many dolls and go to bed way too late. (Admittedly, my kids often go to bed later than I'd prefer.) Yet the sleepover is happening. By some miracle, I actually had all the kids in bed with the lights out by 8:10 PM. It is now 9:34 PM and I have not heard any peeps. 
  • I'm pretty tired and would love to go to bed. Unfortunately, when I clomp up the stairs on my crutches, it makes a lot of noise and I feel like I need to give the silence at least another hour before I disturb it.

No comments:

Post a Comment