Friday, July 25, 2014

Post Surgery: 2 Weeks + 4 Days

Well, this is awkward.

Let me explain: This is actually my first post here that is in 'real time.' I didn't actually start this blog until 1 Week + 1 Day of my recovery. Of course, when I started, I had to start from the very beginning, so that everything would be chronological (if for no other reason than to satisfy my own anal-retentiveness). All of the post surgery updates until now were actually cut and pasted from my journal, which explains why there have been multiple posts from multiple days posted on the same day. (I'm the only person I know who pays attention to such things, but just in case there is someone out there I don't know who pays attention to such things, there is your explanation. :))

So here we are.

Unfortunately, today has been not so good. I am super duper sore from PT yesterday, which in itself isn't a bad thing. My thighs are killing from the squats I did holding onto a rail, but this is actually a good pain, like the type you feel after a good workout. However, my leg pain is back with a vengeance, despite all of my positivity about how the 24 hours of fogginess from the cyclobenzaprine would be worth it if it got rid of this damn pain. (And I REALLY wanted this to be the case! So you've got to add at least a few ounces of placebo effect into the mix.) I mean, I am aware that the effects of drugs do not last very long; if they did, commercials for Aleve, whose big claim-to-fame seems to be that you only have to take it once a day, wouldn't mean much. However, I also know that pain is a cycle, and according to my physical therapist, pain can cause muscles to freak out, and muscles that are freaking out can cause more pain, and 'round and 'round it goes. I guess I thought that if I could somehow interrupt the pain cycle, then my pain receptors would just chill out, and I could be done with this. But, I am NOT taking the cyclobenzaprine again unless the alternative is, like, dying. I just don't have that much time to be that dysfunctional. So I guess I'll try taking the hydrocodone tonight and see where that gets me.

Is it weird that in all of this post surgical pain, almost none of it has involved the hip that was operated on? My right hip has been a champion through all of this.

In other news, I mentioned earlier that my brother and his family are coming to town on Sunday and staying until Wednesday. Since this is a blog about my hip, I won't go into details about my relationship with my brother, or my brother's relationship with my parents, or my own relationship with my parents for that matter, but I will say that this is not something I'm super looking forward to. I mean, I'm not exactly dreading it, either, but... let's just say that it is a source of some stress. I'll leave it at that. (I'm sure that we could all write an entire series of books about Relationships With Family if we had the time and energy and the desire to dwell on and/or re-live our Bizarre Family Experiences.) On top of this, my husband has to go out of town for work Monday through Thursday. (How lucky is he?! LOL.) So next week I'll be sort of on my own, yet with lots of family around - to hopefully at least sort of help out...? Regardless of how it turns out, it's going to involve at least some stress, and since I have a really low tolerance for stress, whatever stress there is, I guarantee that I will inevitably blow way out of proportion. (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm just warning you ahead of time.)

Happy real-time blogging, and I will catch up with you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment