Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Post Surgery: 3 Weeks + 1 Day

Today is not the best hip day. My left hip (supposedly my good one) is really hurting, and my right hip has been aching on and off as well. I think a lot of it is because with my husband being gone + my brother visiting, I've been doing a lot more standing, cooking, trying to change diapers, and walking around on one crutch so I can carry things. Needless to say, considering my level of discomfort, I'm starting to feel slightly panicked about August 13th, which is when I have to start teaching again - from 8-5 for five days. I guess I was hoping this would be the week where I felt totally awesome and totally ready to Ditch The Crutches and be one of the folks who could basically just go cold turkey off crutches (like when the 'binky fairy' comes and takes away all of a kid's pacifiers). I'm not feeling like that is in the cards.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just having a bad day. The other contributing factor is that my niece spent the night with us last night. The good news is that the sleepover went great. The down side, for me, is that I let the girls sleep in my bed and I slept in my daughter's bed. Since my husband is out of town, this seemed to make more sense than trying to drag the futon mattress up from the basement or set up the futon in the family room (which, of course, I just recently folded back up after sleeping on it for two weeks). These are the types of things that you never even think twice about normally, but that become a huge burden on crutches. Unfortunately, my daughter's bed was soooo uncomfortable! (Note to self: she needs a new mattress!)

I also think cooking exacerbates things, as it can involve some awkward angles, heavy pots and pans, and sometimes pushing the limits of the '50% weight bearing' when there is something you just reeeeaaaalllly need and need quickly that is three steps away, and you don't feel like fetching your crutch just to get it. Last night, I made stuffed zucchini and pumpkin blossoms, which were at least quite tasty, so perhaps worth my pain. (My mom had to pick all the blossoms for me.) By the way, if you are into eating flowers, I put garlic, goat cheese, basil, olive oil, and quinoa into a blossom, tie them up with a chive, and fry them for two minutes per side. Tasty. :)

Tonight we are going out for dinner, and my brother is leaving tomorrow, so perhaps my hips can catch some R&R later this week. Back to the drive-thrus!

No comments:

Post a Comment