Friday, July 25, 2014

Post Surgery: 1 Week + 5 Days

Highlights:
  • I noticed when I was taking my anti-inflammatory that it has a side of effect of possible dizziness or drowsiness. I wonder if this has anything to do with why I've been feeling sooooo tired. I know it's not psychological because I only noticed this possible side effect this morning, yet I feel like I have been complaining about being tired for, like, forever. I wonder how important it is for me to take an anti-inflammatory. Probably somewhat important is my guess.
  • My left hip is hurting me to the point where I'm starting to get slightly alarmed. Only slightly, but still. This whole thing with my right hip started with minor, nagging pain as well. I DEFINITELY need to talk to my PT about it. I can't put my left hip in danger while rehabbing my right hip. In fact, I have an idea about what may have set my right hip off, and that is carrying my son around. As he got bigger and heavier, the extra weight really seemed to irritate my hip. When my hip was really bad, carrying him or even just trying to pick him up caused excruciating pain. I don't want my PT exercises to have the same effect as carrying around a 28-pound child. Considering I didn't tear my right labrum in a single, traumatic injury (at least not that I know of), I worry that my hip anatomy, combined with my fact that my left hip has the same history of activity as my right hip, might mean my left hip is a ticking time bomb. And trust me, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid going through all this again on the other side.
  • My knee pain is getting to be really annoying. That is also something I need to talk to the PT about. When I get up from sitting down, my knee hurts so much I can't really put weight on it for about 30 seconds (which is longer than sounds; see my post about the 30-second cortisone injection). Fortunately, I don't have to because I am on crutches anyway, LOL. Nevertheless, it's mildly irritating, and I really don't feel like I've ever had this problem before. 
  • Also, today is the first day since surgery that I've actually had significant pain in my right hip. Even though everything else has hurt, my hip has been fine until today. It is nothing extreme, just something worth noting.
  • My wrists are really hurting from the crutches. Despite the extra padding, they feel bruised.
But enough with all that, I actually had a fun day. This afternoon, we took my daughter to the American Girl store, which is in a mall about an hour away. After the American Girl store, we went to the Lego store and the Body Shop, and then I sat down and rested while my husband took the kids to the Disney store. (I was pleasantly shocked that he managed to not buy anything, even in the absence of my disapproving glare.) I was reeaaallly tired and in a small amount of pain and huge amount of discomfort. Fortunately, I actually iced my left hip in the car on the way up, and I think that helped. After the brief mall adventure, we had a fairly early dinner and drove home. The trip was fun, but it really wore me out. The thing is that I would normally spend much more time with the kids over the summer, but now that they are in daycare/summer camp, I miss them. While I don't want to overdo things, I also don't want to miss out on all the Fun Stuff I normally would have done with them over the summer. And on the upside, while it's a pain in the ass going places on crutches, I've discovered that people tend to be a lot nicer to you. In fact, I have an important work meeting with the Chair of my department on Monday, and I hope the crutches can work some magic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment