Thursday, July 24, 2014

Post Surgery: Day 6

Highlights:
  • I'm still feeling good as far as my hip is concerned, although still really tired all the time.
  • I started to take a vitamin again. Not that I know I'm vitamin deficient or anything, but I was taking it prior to surgery and it seemed to help. Maybe it was just placebo, but... whatever. By the way, you CAN overdose on vitamins, so I'm not taking a vitamin with the attitude that 'it can't hurt.' It's just that I've been vitamin deficient in the past, and I don't really feel like having a lot of blood work done at this point.
  • Late this morning, around 11:00, I felt so crappy I thought I might diiiiieeeee. Okay so not really, but I thought I might have the flu or something. However, after a little rest I decided it might be exhaustion or dehydration. After resting and hydrating, I felt a little better.
  • Maybe I'm just trying to do too much too soon? I've been measuring how much I can do by how much pain it brings on, and nothing seems to bring on much pain, so I keep going. On the other hand, while my hip feels good, other parts of me seem to be suffering.
  • Also, I'm on a new anti-inflammatory (diclofenac) that seems to be bringing on a little bit of GI distress. I was on a different anti-inflammatory the first four days (ketorolac) and then started the diclofenac. A pharmacist friend explained to me that the risk of serious side effects goes up a huge amount after five days on ketorolac, so no doctors prescribe it for more than a few days. However, it is usually very well tolerated short-term so you often start off on it and then transition before the risk kicks in. 
  • At first the GI distress was a welcome change from the apparently constipating effects of surgery, but now it's sort of annoying. 
  • One of my daughter's favorite games to play is Sorry! which she plays with both of her grandmothers. I've been telling her for a while now that I'll buy it so we have it in our house, too. After lying around in a semi-delirious state all morning and then dozing through the World Cup finals (I was so tired, I couldn't figure out why Angela Merkel was celebrating when Argentina scored, but it turns out that I had the teams backwards the whole game - OOPS!), I finally mustered up the energy to drive my daughter downtown to the toy store and buy Sorry! Plus, she talked me out of another game, too. I don't mind, though, because I like playing games, and we don't have that many. In addition to using this 'down time' to do work that I might otherwise not have done, I'm trying to use it as quality time to spend with my daughter that I otherwise wouldn't have spent with her.
  • My afternoon outing downtown was the major event of the day. On the way home, we stopped by my parents' house. My dad remarked that I had seemed really tired ever since going to the farmers market on Wednesday, and perhaps that wasn't the best idea, and I couldn't disagree.
  • But, whatever.
  • Part of me thinks the solution to being overly tired is more rest, and the other part of me thinks that being idle leads to fatigue and depression ( = feeling overly tired) so... I don't know.
  • I probably just need to give everything more time. But as I've mentioned before, I am an extremely impatient person.

No comments:

Post a Comment